Free School Meals
From September 2014 school meals will be provided for all children in Key Stage 1 (Foundation Stage to Year 2) FREE of charge.
Even though all pupils in the age bracket above will automatically receive free meals we need to identify all pupils who have a statutory entitlement to receive free meals as all schools receive funding called ‘Pupil Premium’ for each child that qualifies.
If you receive:
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Support under Part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee Element of State Pension Credi
- Child Tax Credit (BUT NOT entitled to Working Tax Credit and your annual income does not exceed £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit ‘run on’ – the payment you receive for a further four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit (sometime during 2014/15 the new benefit, if fully introduced by the Government, will also be a qualifying criteria for free school meals)
Then your child will be entitled to free school meals up to the age of 16 years.
The County Council is now able to access the Government’s benefits eligibility database which will enable an immediate check on your entitlement to free school meals. Once your child has been awarded free school meals they will continue to receive them throughout school unless your circumstances change.
If you think you fit the criteria above please check with the council, the telephone number to ring is 01772 531809. You will need to have your name, address, date of birth and National Insurance number to hand. You will be informed of your entitlement as soon as possible and school will also be informed.
As already mentioned above your child will receive free school meals for the first three years of their school life whether you apply or not. Even so, we need to stress that if you do fit the criteria to claim, please apply as above so that school will not miss out on the funding associated with free school meals of up to £1000 per child. Thank you.
Download the form here